Friday, May 3, 2013

Prayer That Listens

Prayer that Listens

There are so many voices in the world. There are so many voices we allow  in our minds, but there is one voice of heaven that speaks to our spirit. In the stillness of prayer, not prayer of just asking, but prayer of listening also. Listening for the voice of God to speak to us, to give us direction, to give us focus, to give us clarity. Not by imagination, or wishful thinking, but to actually hear God speak in our spirit. Not too many people will like listening prayer, because it takes determination to stay in one place and just listen.
Learning to differentiate the voice God vs the voice of the imagination is key to listening prayer. If you are not careful and really listen, the mind will play tricks on you. You must learn the difference between the voices. The voice of God will speak from his word. The voice of the imagination will only speak to profit your flesh.

Many times, God will give directions. Have you ever been in your car traveling, and that still small voice says, to go,or not  to go a certain direction? You hear it, but ignore it. Down the road something happens. You say to yourself, if I had only listened to my first mind. It was not your first mind that was speaking. It was the Spirit of God trying to warn you. Some may say, that doesn't make sense. God doesn't speak to you like that! But more times than one, when you take heed to that voice, you remain safe, and you prosper.

An effective prayer begins by praying the Word of God. You shouldn't empty your mind of thoughts, but you must fill you're mind with the word of God. You must keep your imagination in check. In other words, say to yourself I'm not going to listen to my own thoughts, but I seek to hear only the word of God. If you have to, close your eyes in order to shut everything else out. If you have to cover your eyes or your face with a cloth.  You must concentrate on, focus on, God alone.
When performing the other types of prayer you concentrate on what you're asking God for. You either have a Christmas wish list, or a laundry list to present before the Lord. You begin that type of prayer at a disadvantage. It is prayer that seeks self-willed desires. It more or less tells God to be your butler or servant. Give me, bring me, let me have, I want, my desire, my need, I give you Lord. The one exception is when one is praying the word.

Many will spend their time on their knees praying and at the end of the prayer say, thy will be done. Yet you have just prayed your whole will, but at the end you say that thy will be done. Where was God's will in the beginning of your prayer? Were you just hoping that he would see past your desires? Were you just hoping he would just understand your humanity? God will speak to you. With all certainty he will answer your prayer, but what does God want for your life? What is his will? What is his determination? What is his desire?

... I don't know, you say ! Exactly!

I am NOT saying asking is not praying. The etymology of the word pray is to ask.
You must know the prayers also a conversation between you and God. And what I am saying is that in a conversation, one speaks, one listens and there is an exchange.  And if you are not listening can you not hearing his answers for you.  I've learned that prayer posters you in a position of battle or thanksgiving also. I've learned a prayer calls you into action. What kind of relationship do you have if you are doing all the talking? What kind of relationship do you have when it's all about you? What kind of relationship do you have when you're doing all the leading? Relationship is two-way, but God must lead.

Just a short time ago, I became very afraid, because I couldn't hear the voice of God. I have been used to listening and hearing God speak to me in the morning. Long before the sunrise, God has given me the course of the day. But I wasn't getting that anymore. I couldn't hear the thing that was so dear to me, the voice of God speaking to his servant. Going from one point of the day to the other not hearing from God. I had to turn to this word, the written word. It is my source of consolation. Yes I heard his voice through His Word. Yes I understood his love for me. I had grown accustom to hearing him speak to me in the morning. After spending time with him in his word, I begin to hear his voice again. I let him take lead. Glory hallelujah!!!

I encourage all that read this blog to practice listening to God. I encourage you to listen to his voice and differentiate the voice of your imagination. Seek to know his will first. Seek to understand his love for you. Know that he is not going to allow anything to happen to you. He loves you that much. It may seem like you're futile activity because you were used to fill in the air with your voice. Keep on listening it will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment